06 June,2013 by Jack Vamvas
A DBA career path is about thinking in strategic terms . What other skills can a DBA develop their in a complex database server environment?
A rising trend in the database server world is a hybrid of DBA and application administrator.
A common source of pressure is increased demand for DBA time but decreasing budgets for DBAs. Thinking clearly about career progression is a challenge. Here are some ideas.
Managing Enterprise infrastructure across the application stack is increasing in demand . In an earlier post - DBA supertech . Specialise or generalise? I introduced the idea of thinking beyond the database server.
A critical DBA skillset to develop is interacting at the Application, RDBMS OS, Hardware, network and storage layer.
1) Solid DBA skills - backup and recovery, basic admin, security management, performance tuning, T-SQL. Read more on I want to become a DBA. What should I first learn ?
2) Dependant application admin skills
1) Intermediate DBA skills – Solid basic skills & solid knowledge of an advanced SQL Server feature such High Availability ,Business Intelligence,Datawarehouse or other SQL Server – DBA Skills Growth Areas
2) Intermediate Dependant application admin skills
3) Deploy other middleware software – and interact with development teams on coding patterns, XML,.Net,single sign on
1) Advanced DBA skills – Intermediate DBA skills & solid knowledge of Enterprise management software. Experience and skills to operate in a complex database server environment
2) Advanced Dependant application admin skills such as Websphere, Business Objects,Sharepoint.
3) Deploy other middleware software – and interact with development teams on coding, XML,.Net,single sign on, connectivity, distributed transactions
4) Knowledge and experience of managing full Enterprise infrastructure in one of : BackUp \Recovery\Disaster Recovery, Security Management, Performance , Diagnostics
5) Knowledge of other database server systems such as DB2.
Let me know your thoughts and experiences . It is difficult to obtain experience and knowledge to progress. Hopefully this post offered some ideas