31 August,2011 by Jack Vamvas
“By 2014, over 3 billion of the world's adult population will be able to transact electronically via mobile or Internet technology”
The reasons given are:
1) “6.5 billion mobile connections by 2014”
2) “Global adult population to be 5.5 billion by 2014”
3) “Everyone with internet access or a mobile phone can transact electronically”
1) More electronic transactions through mobile phones than the PC. Applications will be redesigned for a thinner\faster client.
2) More emphasis on database servers and universal caching , for data reads and commits.
3) SQL Performance Tuning requirements will increase. Why?
Users and security management
Data volume changes – company acquisitions and new products\markets
Transaction volume changes – multiple sales channels
Availability (Disaster Recovery and High Availability) – 24 x7
Server consolidation model – OLTP and real time analysis
A greater emphasis will be placed on automating database server monitoring. The typical monitoring model is : online inspection > gathering statistics > query usage > resource consumption.
Automating the database tuning process is a goal of many systems managers. The monitoring model presented , should be a standard for DBAs. Whether every tuning problem can be diagnosed and fixed automatically is another question.